Hyundai unveils IONIQ 5 N - an enhanced sensory experience in electric vehicles.
Why it matters: Hyundai aims to change the traditional electric vehicle (EV) experience with the newly unveiled IONIQ 5 N, an everyday sports car developed by Hyundai's N engineers.
This EV introduces novel technology to address a significant concern often voiced by performance enthusiasts - the lack of tactile driver feedback.
The Key Points
- The IONIQ 5 N introduces integrated N e-shift and N Active Sound + technology to provide an engaging gear-shifting sensation and an immersive aural driving experience.
- N e-shift simulates the feel of an eight-speed dual-clutch transmission (DCT) in conventional internal combustion engine (ICE) N cars, providing more precise power delivery control and an interactive driving experience.
- The car features N Active Sound+ technology, which enhances the sensory experience by creating various engine and exhaust sounds. This technology gives the driver an acoustic reference to measure the power used.
- The car is also equipped with N Road Sense (available in the EU), which automatically recommends activation of N mode when double-curved road signs are detected.
- The IONIQ 5 N also has Vehicle-to-Load (V2L) capability, which allows the driver to use stored energy from the high-voltage battery to charge devices, even when the car is off.
The Big Picture: In terms of design, the IONIQ 5 N has incorporated performance-enhancing elements such as a lower and wider body, a wing-like rear spoiler, contrasting black trim, and 21-inch aluminum wheels.
These additions and other aerodynamic enhancements emphasize the model's performance capabilities.
The IONIQ 5 N features a redesigned N steering wheel, N seats with reinforced bolsters, metal pedals, and a center console optimized for the track experience.
The IONIQ 5 N will debut at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2023, marking a significant milestone for the brand.