Tokyo, Japan - A recent study led by a collaboration between Gifu University, SoftBank Corp., the National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT), and the Nagoya Institute of Technology focuses on terahertz wireless transmission.
Why it matters:
This research, published in Applied Physics Letters, is significant for developing wireless communication technology, especially for communication systems beyond 5G/6G.
This study represents an advancement in wireless communication technology, with potential implications for developing and implementing systems beyond 5G/6G.
It addresses critical challenges in wireless communication, particularly radio wave obstruction, a key factor in the efficiency and reliability of future communication systems.
- Terahertz wireless transmission: The research demonstrates the use of terahertz wireless transmission in the 300 GHz band, using self-healing beams to maintain communication in physical blockages.
- Comparison with 5G technology: The study highlights the broader frequency range of the 300 GHz band compared to the 28 GHz band used in 5G, suggesting the potential for higher transmission speeds.
- Self-healing beam technology: Focuses on using Bessel beams in the 300 GHz band, demonstrating their ability to reform after distortion, suggesting a reduction in communication errors.
- Implications beyond 5G/6G communications: The research helps lay the groundwork for ultra-high-speed wireless communications in the future telecommunications landscape.
What They Say:
The team, which includes Professor Nobutaro Kyutake of Gifu University and colleagues from Nagoya Institute of Technology and NICT, emphasizes the importance of this research in overcoming barriers to wireless signal transmission.
SoftBank notes the importance of this study in analyzing the practical applications of Terahertz communication systems.
What Comes Next:
Expanding the research: This research will focus on outdoor data communications and adapt the technology to overcome more significant obstacles.
Impact on communication systems: The research is complementary to existing fiber-optic communications, providing an alternative for high-speed data transmission and increasing the robustness of future communications networks.
- Gifu University is leading the research management and conceptualization.
- SoftBank focuses on application analysis of terahertz communication systems.
- NICT and Nagoya Institute of Technology contribute to further application-related research.