Why It Matters: KT (NYSE: KT) has been selected to participate in the COMPAS project along with AI semiconductor company Rebellions.
This move is significant because it strengthens South Korea's AI capabilities by connecting companies needing semiconductors with capable suppliers.
The Key Points
- Administered by the Korea Evaluation Institute of Industrial Technology and supported by the Ministry of Trade, Industry, and Energy, the COMPAS project provides financial support for up to 50% of the total cost of commercial prototype development.
- Rebellions will accelerate the development of efficient, high-performance semiconductor servers tailored for KT's services through this initiative.
- In addition to KT Cloud and Rebellions, KT previously launched a cloud-based Neural Processing Unit (NPU) infrastructure service, a significant milestone in South Korea's AI sector.
- KT Cloud has also pledged to participate in the K-Cloud Project, a government-led initiative to deploy domestically manufactured NPUs in data centers.
- It plans to commercialize parent company KT Corp.'s hyper-scale AI Mi: DM.
The Big Picture: This move demonstrates a concerted effort by KT and Rebellions to boost the performance of AI semiconductors, offering a low-cost alternative to traditionally used graphics processing units.
This advancement could be a game changer for businesses that require speech and image processing services.
The long-term commitment to the K-Cloud project demonstrates a promising path toward broader application and commercialization of locally manufactured AI semiconductors and infrastructure.