Seoul/Sejong, South Korea - The South Korean government is expanding ComeUp, its annual startup festival, into a premier international event facilitating cross-border collaboration and investment.
The Ministry of SMEs and Startups and the Korea Startup Forum co-hosted a media conference today.
The Key Points
- ComeUp 2023 will be held in Seoul from November 8 to 10 and is expected to attract more than 60,000 participants from 29 countries.
- Launched in 2019, ComeUp has quickly become one of the largest startup gatherings in Asia. The total number of attendees has grown from 21,102 in 2019 to 57,560 in 2022.
- The UAE's Minister of Economy, Abdulla bin Touq Al Marri, Saudi Arabia's Director General of SMEs, Ali Al-Suwaidan, and musician ZIOR PARK will inspire young entrepreneurs. Sessions will cover the startup lifecycle from inception to growth and global expansion.
- This year's event will feature a new Global Community Zone with pavilions for 15 countries, including Saudi Arabia and the UAE. It will coincide with the K-Global Cluster event, which will focus on sectors such as biotech and cosmetics.
- ComeUp will continue highlighting top Korean startups through the ComeUp Stars accelerator, which selected 150 startups this year. However, overseas startups now account for 60% of first-time participants, a significant increase from previous years.
- New additions include an online BizMatching platform for year-round networking and a Global CVC Conference to connect startups with over 160 domestic and global corporate venture capital firms.
What They Say:
"The world has entered an era of borderless digital competition, and startups with agile technologies play a crucial role," said Minister of SMEs and Startups Lee Young.
"ComeUp 2023 will provide opportunities for Korean startups to connect with global partners and expand into overseas markets."
The expansion of ComeUp reflects Korea's broader efforts to grow its startup ecosystem, showcase innovation, and connect with global capital and partners.
The event represents a high-profile step in positioning Korea's startup scene on the global stage.
Pre-registration for COMEUP 2023 is open to all via the COMEUP website (https://comeup.org).
Additionally, attendees can also participate in the event through on-site registration.